Linux Distribution Reaches Record 3.07% Share in Global Desktop Operating System Market
Analysts at Statcounter have calculated that the share of Linux distributions in the global desktop operating system market has reached 3.07% for the first time. For comparison, five years ago, the share of Linux was only 1.69%.
The company explains that these statistics are based on data from trackers installed on 1.5 million sites worldwide. They record about 5 billion page views every month. It is also noted that laptops are also classified as desktops in this analytics, because there is no easy way to separate them from other machines.
Linux Market Share on the Rise
As mentioned above, five years ago, the share of Linux in Statcounter was only 1.69%, and between June 2022 and 2023, the share of Linux rose from 2.42% to 3.07%. In addition, if we consider Chrome OS as a Linux system, then another 4.13% can be added to the data obtained, in total we have already received as much as 7.2%.
Windows Market Share on the Decline
Among other interesting figures in the Statcounter report is the drop in the share of Windows from 76.33% to 68.23% in a year. Thus, the Microsoft operating system has only slightly recovered after a severe winter-spring recession, during which its share in the world generally decreased to 62.06%. It is assumed that this is due to the suspension of sales in Russia, because analysts fail to explain the fall of 14% for the year with something else.
Also of interest is the line “Unknown” (“Unknown”), the share of which is gradually increasing and against the background of the fall of Windows has already reached the level of 13%. Journalists at Tom’s Hardware suggest that the “Unknown” is likely to include very new or very old versions of popular operating systems.
macOS is also growing steadily, with its share growing from 14.64% in June 2022 to 21.32% this year, according to Statcounter. Thus, 89.5% of all desktops in the world are currently running Windows and macOS, and Chrome OS, Linux and Unknown share the rest of the market.
The rise of Linux in the global desktop operating system market is a major milestone for the open source community. For years, Linux has been seen as a niche operating system, but the latest figures from Statcounter show that it is now a major player in the market.
The rise of Linux is likely due to the increasing popularity of Chromebooks, which are powered by Chrome OS, a Linux-based operating system. Chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular in the education sector, as they are relatively inexpensive and easy to use.
In addition, the rise of Linux could be attributed to the increasing popularity of open source software. Open source software is free to use and modify, and it is becoming increasingly popular among developers and users alike.
Finally, the rise of Linux could be attributed to the increasing popularity of cloud computing. Cloud computing allows users to access their data and applications from any device, and many cloud services are powered by Linux-based operating systems.
Overall, the rise of Linux in the global desktop operating system market is a major milestone for the open source community. Linux is becoming increasingly popular, and it is now a major player in the market. The increasing popularity of Chromebooks, open source software, and cloud computing are all contributing to the rise of Linux.